The Inquiry wishes to ensure that those who are asked to provide evidence or engage with the Inquiry are able to do so.
Under section 40 of the Inquiries Act 2005 the Chair can make awards in respect of any expenses which a person may reasonably incur. This may be in connection with attending the Inquiry, providing evidence or otherwise having sufficient interest in the outcome of the Inquiry to justify an award.
Witness expenses are separate to claims for any legal costs. The Inquiry Team will consider individual circumstances, reasonable costs and travelling distance when deciding claims for travel, subsistence, childcare and, exceptionally, other expenses that are necessary and proportionate.
Anyone who wishes to claim for expenses, should complete the expenses form and provide this to the Inquiry. For all expenses, receipts must be provided when the expenses form is submitted, before the claim can be processed.
Witnesses can claim reimbursement of the following (through provision of receipts to the Inquiry team) at the rates as set out below:
- Travel (for witnesses and necessary companions):
- Standard class travel expenses on public transport
- Petrol costs for traveling by car (at a rate of 45p per mile) and by motorcycle (at a rate of 24p per mile)
- Taxi costs will be permitted for local journeys up to 5 miles, with a receipt. For any journeys which are longer than 5 miles, please speak to the Inquiry beforehand to check whether you would be able to claim reimbursement. Circumstances where taxi costs could be provided by the Inquiry may include:
- Where this was the only form of transport available
- If a witness is registered disabled or has mobility issues
- If the witness is vulnerable or has particular concern about travelling by public transport.
- Subsistence: when attending a hearing or meeting with the Inquiry, witnesses (and their companions) are entitled to claim up to £5 for a meal with a receipt. Claims for alcohol are not permitted.
- Childcare: witnesses may claim for the reasonable cost of childcare required to allow them to attend a meeting with the Inquiry or an Inquiry hearing, if not covered by any employer childcare scheme. Prior written agreement must be obtained from the Inquiry team.
- Other costs: witnesses who may incur expenses not covered by this guidance as a result of their need to attend a meeting with the Inquiry or an Inquiry hearing should contact the Inquiry team to discuss this.
Expenses of substantial organisations, or those individuals connected with them, will not generally be met by the Inquiry where it is reasonable to expect those bodies to meet those expenses.
To discuss a claim, please contact the Inquiry team at email@example.com or leave a voicemail on 0207 972 3500.
Updated October 2023